Positive psychology focuses on exactly that: the positive, the here and now and to some extent, it focuses on problem solving for the future.
The various aspects of psychology all have their place in allowing a person to live the life they desire. Not every style of therapy is a fit for every person. Some psychology theories take us back to the past to resolve pain and scars that are in our way of living a fulfilled life, while others provide tools for creating a more desirable future.
Positive psychology and resiliency focuses on the positives that you already have and how to capitalize on your strengths, rather than focusing on the negative experiences. I helps you build on your strengths and uses them to shore up the weaknesses. It is a great fit for a client that wants to make forward movement in life and is ready to take action! For specific ways to learn concrete ways to train yourself to be more positive click here.
8 Components of Positive Psychology
1) Focuses on happiness and taking care of yourself.
2) Helps you find ways to cope in positive ways.
3) Supports you in living a life that flows more easily in day-to-day living.
4) Promotes continued education, learning and growth.
5) Allows you to search for and discover new (and existing) avenues of love and humanity.
6) Supports you in finding your strengths and virtues.
7) Provides tools for tapping into your emotions and creativity.
8) Teaches you temperance, resilience and moving forward from an empowered place.
Positive psychology, studies, and was born out of looking at positive emotions and skills that people already have. It then builds on those. Many traditional psychology theories looked at illness and negative feelings, emotions and behaviors.
I use a positive psychology approach with my clients! Together we work on the problem by using the tools and skills you already have, changing thinking and perspectives and coming up with a plan for you to move forward!
For specific ways to change your thinking on positivity v.s. negativity, click here!
To read more on taking action around positive v.s. negative reacting and how you can choose differently and have some control over your emotions click here.