The exercise is called the 4-7-8 Technique, and Dr. Andrew Weil calls it a “natural tranquilizer for the nervous system.” There are numerous studies that link meditation to better sleep, reduced anxiety and a host of other positive effects. This is an easy-to-follow exercise that will help you to feel better through better sleep and reduced anxiety and stress. Couple it with a regular mediation practice and you will be golden!!!
Dr. Andrew Weil recommends practicing this exercise whenever dealing with a stressful situation such as inability to get to sleep, middle of the night waking or early morning waking, anxiety prone situations such as a fight with a partner or just feeling overwhelmed. Try it! You’ll start feeling more relaxed immediately. Here’s how to do it:
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat three more times for a total of four cycles.
I actually have mild anxiety and also sleep issues and I swear by this technique! It is one of the best that I have found and I have tried many! I especially love the simplicity of this one!
This is an example of the type of homework that I give in my coaching style of counseling. If you are ready to make a change in your life, call me today at 619-687-9013 for a free 15 minute consultation to see if the coaching counseling style that I use is a fit for you! You can also email me anytime at email@example.com
Disclaimer: All blogs, newsletters & articles are meant to give action ideas for moving forward in life. They are in no way, shape or form a substitute for therapy/counseling services.
If you have an emergency or are in crisis dial 911.