It is easy to get caught in the trap of seeking external permission and validation to make choices about our lives. Why do we look to others to give us the green light and go-ahead to grow, change or be loveable? We don’t need anyone else’s approval to make our own decisions and to decide who we want to be.
That doesn’t mean that we don’t explore new ways of thinking and tools to grow. We can read self-help books, got to therapy, talk to a trusted friend but I like to tell people, keep what works for you and throw out the rest.
6 Tips for Giving Yourself Permission to Grow
1) Stop second-guessing your decisions. Make a choice, go with it and tweak as necessary.
2) Practice trusting yourself; your intuition; The feelings inside of you, not the thoughts as much.
3) If you make a decision that doesn’t turn out well, just make a new choice/decision and continue moving forward.
4) Seek opportunities for increased learning, knowledge and understanding, whether it’s reading, classes, coaching-counseling, or a mentor.
5) Be kind to yourself when you make mistakes (and you will) because we all make mistakes. Use them as a learning experience. (BTW, It’s not a “mistake” it’s a growth opportunity. AFGO!)
6) Give up the need to be perfect. Let it GO! Accept yourself for who you are. There is no one perfect way to be or do anything, and a million good ways to be successful!
Personal growth is just that – personal. You are the expert in your own life. If you don’t trust yourself to give yourself permission to make choices that will lead to your continued learning and growth, then it sounds like it’s time for you to make some changes. It is very liberating to discover that you don’t need to permission from anyone about making choices for your own life…and it’s even more rewarding to cease needing others’ approval and give yourself permission to grow.