6 Ideas for Increasing Your Self Esteem (Tried and true, that I use too!)
First off, I wont lie. I struggle with this just like everyone else. It is work (sometimes HARD work) taking action in self-esteem. I have to work on feeling like “I am imperfect AND I am enough”, especially in this jacked up, male dominated, sex, youth, skinny only roles for women that sells everything from cars to booze. AMEN Sister’s?
Geez, it’s enough to make me wanna run screaming from the city to a mountain-top somewhere and get my zen on!!
So, in this crazy plugged in world, I wanted to share some skills that I practice to help me keep my sanity, and for that matter, help my 13 year old daughter navigate this through middle/high school.
1) Remind yourself that you are special and unique: One of 7 BILLION, yes, that is “B”, for billion. There is no one uniquely like you!
2) Do ONE small, kind thing for yourself each day. It does not have to be huge, cost money or achieve anything. Think, saying something nice about yourself in your own head.
3) Read one inspirational thing per day. Daily affirmations, the bible, emailed inspiration, 12-step or one chapter of a self-help book. Staying cogniszant of healthy ways to think and feel are so important in a society that focuses on the negative and the “have not’s”.
4) I could not do it alone ladies!!!! If I did not have my BFF’s and my peeps that “get me”, I would be lost for sure. If you have moved, join some groups, if you are recently divorced and all of your old friends are married, take some classes, volunteer, host a meet up group for women… DIAL in and get some girlfriends.
5) I don’t watch “the news” on TV. It is in quotes because it is not news. It is sensationalized
B.S. meant to grab your attention in a bit sized piece and it is NEGATIVE. I don’t read ANY magazines except OPRAH and Psychology Today. I get my news from the BBC and a magazine called “The Week” which gives you a summary of what is going on in the world.
There is an old saying, “Garbage in, Garbage out”. This goes for what you put in your brain just as much as what you put in your body, food-wise. Our society (heck, even our very biology) runs on fear, less than, negativity and have not’s in order to survive, sell and get you to think that you are not enough ad don’t have enough.
YOU ARE ENOUGH just because you were born. You are preciously made and beautiful. You would say that to your BFF, why wouldn’t you say it to yourself, so…
6) Use positive affirmations for yourself and say nice things to yourself in your own head. If you would not say it to a loved one, you have no business saying it to yourself.
**Bonus! DO something that EMPOWERS you! (I am a brown belt in karate and LOVE it).
Ok, rant done. Thanks for reading and please share. I know this sounds like work and it is, but I can tell you from experience and from the numerous people that I have helped to lead happier, better lives, that this stuff works!!!
Please share this with your friends if they need some reminders of how to concretely work on self-esteem.