5 Keys to Taming Your Inner Critic
We all have that inner voice that tries to bully us into keeping ourselves and our lives small and free from taking too many risks. It is there to protect us…but it just doesn’t do a very nice job of it! So, how can you quiet the voices altogether, or at least enough to allow you to live a wonderful and fulfilling life?
5 Keys to Taming Your Inner Bully
1) Replace the negative comment in your head with a positive one and then practice a new belief system every time you “catch” the inner critic.
2) Write 750 words without stopping. Your inner bully will likely show up…keep writing anyway. This exercise will support you in transforming how you hear your inner bully.
3) Explore the worst that could happen if your inner bully were correct in everything it says. This will provide you with perspective on your circumstances and see just how unlikely the worst will actually happen.
4) Turn the tables on your inner bully. If it’s trying to convince you that you’re not very smart, etc., it is a part of you, so perhaps it’s not so smart itself. Shut it down.
5) Figure out what your inner bully really wants. It’s there to protect you, so it’s actually attempting to keep you safe. Keep asking yourself what it wants until you get to the core of how it wants to serve you.
Are you going to allow your inner bully or critic run the show of your life? Or, would you rather be the one in charge? The voice you choose to listen to in your own head is entirely up to you! If you’re having difficulty getting the voice to quiet down, reach out for support.