How Women Executives Can Break the Glass (Part 1 of 2)
For as many advancements our society has made in the pursuit for overall gender equality, one glaring area where inequality still remains pretty solid is when it comes to women penetrating the walls of the “good ol’ boys club” in business. This includes working in generally male-dominated fields as well women receiving lower wages than men for the same job. As women, how can we shatter those glass ceilings of professional advancement and income potential in the workplace?
6 Keys to Professional Advancement for Women
1) Get clear on what you want to accomplish, by when, and, most importantly, your reasons for wanting to do so, then execute systematically.
2) Check to see if your answers to #1 above align with your personal values for your happiness, family goals and commitments, etc.
3) Embrace the differences between men and women and utilize your strengths you bring as a woman, rather than trying to take on more masculine characteristics to get ahead.
4) If you pursue advancement in a company or field that you’re aware currently favors men, do not allow yourself to become frustrated or deterred by possible attempts from others to thwart your progress or ambitions. You have consciously decided to go against the grain and you should expect resistance and not be surprised if it comes your way.
5) Frequently read stories and accounts of other women in history who have succeeded in fields or companies primarily dominated by men to remain inspired in your own pursuits.
6) Do the best work you are capable of doing…always. Use this as your guiding principle for self-value.
This series will continue next Monday for more ideas to empower yourself as a woman executive. In the meantime check out my other blogs on Empowerment at http://navigatechanges.com/category/empowerment/